Applying for Admission
The University of Kansas offers a specialized Ph.D. in Child Language focusing on the interdisciplinary academic preparation and research training of child-language specialists.
You may apply online. Applications for admission in the fall semester should be received by January 15.
The following application materials are required:
- your signed, dated and completed application form, if you use a paper form. However, we encourage you to apply online.
- one official transcript from each college or university you have attended. Transcripts must come in a sealed envelope directly from the institution.
- the non-refundable application fee in the form of a money order payable to the University of Kansas. If you apply online, the fee will be collected through that web site.
- Domestic student - paper application: $55.00
- International student - paper application: $60.00
- Domestic student - online application: $45.00
- International student - online application: $55.00
- 3 letters of recommendation (PDF)
- a list of all courses taken in relevant areas such as child development, linguistics, psychology, special education, and speech and hearing sciences
- scores from the Graduate Record Examination
- scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language if your first language is not English
- a curriculum vita
- a personal statement describing the applicant's interests in studying child language and professional goals
- Bachelor's degree with course work in linguistics, psychology, speech pathology, and statistics
- Undergraduate GPA of B or better
- Preference is given to students with a master's degree in linguistics, psychology, education, special education, or speech and hearing sciences